ACE CAREERS CAMP 2022
The Long Beach Center for Economic Inclusion and DemoChicks™ have collaborated to present an Architectural, Construction, Engineering (ACE) Career exploration summer camp throughout the month of September. DemoChicks’ ACE Careers Camp will transcend the classroom and is a hands-on, immersive ACE exposure experience for 30 students. ACE Careers Camp will position youth, with an emphasis on girls and youth of color to gain exposure to the field, obtain economic empowerment, and one day soon — lead in these essential fields.
ACE Careers Camp is designed for youth ages 7 to 14. Older youths, ages 15-17, will be allowed to participate as counselors in training, assisting younger participants with experiments. All sessions will involve:
- Learning from an active ACE professional who shares about their career journey and the concepts they use daily.
- Hands-on experiments that allow them to connect the concepts shared by the guest professionals and DemoChicks Team
- Discussion about concepts and encouraging youth to envision themselves as future ACE leaders.
ONLY 30 SLOTS ARE AVAILABLE!
The class size is limited. If you are on the waitlist, we will email/call you if a spot becomes available.
ACE CAREER CAMP SESSIONS
- Session 1 – Architecture Careers Part I – Tues., Sept. 6th | Virtual – 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM
- Session 2 – Architecture Careers Part II – Tues., Sept. 13th, | Virtual – 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM
- Session 3 – Construction Careers – Tues., Sept. 20th, | Virtual – 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM
- Session 4 – Engineering Careers Part I – Sat., Sept. 24th | In-Person at the Long Beach Youth Festival
- Session 5 – Engineering Careers Part II – Tues., Sept. 27th | Virtual – 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM
**ACE Career Camp is a free career exploration completion program.
All students that attend all five sessions will receive a stipend of $300 after the completion of the exit survey.
DemoChicks On-Line Workshops for Girls
Summer Break – New programming will begin in the fall
What is a DemoChick related field? Architecture, Construction, Demolition, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (also known as ACE and STEM). It is the mission of DemoChicks to help women and girls find a footing in male-dominated industries like construction, demolition, and architecture by introducing them to the science of the trades.
DemoChicks on-line workshops for girls offer hands-on instruction that introduces elementary and middle school students to careers that are nontraditional for women. The classes include experiments and presentations. Our sessions feature specific topics (engineering, science, etc.) with interactive activities. We are DemoChicks! We empower, We elevate, We enlighten.
According to data collected by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, women are still vastly underrepresented in STEM occupations. While the percentage of women who work as mathematical and computer scientists, engineers, or chemists has increased over the past two decades, most STEM occupations still show a significant gender gap. DemoChicks is here to break down barriers to build girls up; open up their future opportunities, and provide mentorship and guidance on how to pursue and excel in their nontraditional field of choice.